As much as we don’t want to think about it….Winter IS on it’s way. Winter in Pittsburgh means snowy roads. To prepare your vehicle for the winter there are a few things you should do:
- Make sure your vehicle can get around with SNOW TIRES
- Check your Battery and Charging System
- Make sure to check your Coolant Levels and if it’s been a while have your system flushed
- Get your Brakes Checked and replaced if needed
- Replace your Windshield Wiper Blades if yours are over a year old. Winter Blades don’t freeze up as easily.
- Check your Windshield Washer Fluid level and add some if needed.
- Keep an Emergency Road Kit containing the following:
- A Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- A First Aid Kit
- A Blanket
- A Cell Phone
- Bottles Of Water
- Non Perishable Snacks (For Multiple People And Pets If They Travel With You)
- A Flashlight With New Batteries
- An Abrasive Material Of Some Kind(Road Salt, Kitty Litter, Sand) To Give You Some Traction If You Get Stuck
- An Ice Scraper
- Jumper Cables
- A Pair Of Gloves
- A Sweater
- A Warm Hat
- A Compact Snow Shovel
It is best to be prepared for the winter because if something happens, and you get stuck, it could actually become a life and death situation.
Studded Snow Tires
When you have a snow tire “studded” a tire technician literally puts metal studs in the tread of your tire. Snow tires tend to do a little better on icy and snowy roads because these metal studs dig right into the roads. Because of that snow tires can only be used from November 1st through April 15th in the state of Pennsylvania. They are also quite loud. The studs make it sound like you are driving on gravel ALL THE TIME. Also, when it comes to snow tires, not all tires can be studded. Certain tires come with pre made holes for the studs to go into. Not all snow tires have that feature. Also, once a tire has been driven on (used tires) it can no longer be studded due to the malformation of the stud holes.
Of course, there are quite a few different snow tires to choose from. Below is a gallery of a few options: